I decided not to give up and carried on searching…..
I finally found the reason it doesn’t work – problem is that’s a big “ouch”. It seems that your “woocommerce support” for themes is utilising the basic option – the woocommerce.php file instead of what I’d call a proper woocommerce theme support.
These means that you just push out the WooCommerce loop in the page – so the majority of woocommerce hooks are disabled 🙁
So to conclude:
1. Either I have to disable woocommerce.php in your theme folder, then utilise the proper woocommerce templates in my child theme (lots of work!)
2. OR lump it, and rely on just basic woocommerce integration