Why You Should Redesign Your Small Business Website into WordPress
Do you have a small business? Not sure why everybody says that WordPress is a perfect choice for your website? What would you say if we name 5 rock-solid reasons why you should migrate to WordPress?
Ok, let's start with a little bit of history. The creation of WordPress dates back to 2003. It started with a single line of code and was aimed to enhance the typography of everyday writing. The platform was used by a few people only.
Nobody could predict that this modest blogging tool has such a brilliant future. Today it is the largest CMS in the world. It is used on millions of sites and is seen by tens of millions of people every day.
Absolutely everything, from WordPress documentation to its code was created by the community and for the community. Hundreds of people are working on WordPress as it's an open source project. This is more than most commercial platforms can afford. No matter what business do you run (it can be a personal blog or business consulting website), you can use WordPress for free. Yes, you understood it right, there are no license fees to anyone.
You can download and install the software script on WordPress.org. All you need for that is a host who meets minimal requirements and a little free time you are ready to dedicate to the process.
Requirements to the host:
- - PHP version 7 or greater support
- - MySQL version 5.6 or greater OR MariaDB version 10.0 or greater support
- - HTTPS support
WordPress is so customizable that can be used for anything or almost anything.
WordPress.com is another service that lets you start with a brand new free blog based on WordPress in seconds. It differs in some ways and is not as flexible as the WordPress you download and install yourself.
The progress of WordPress is evident. Having started as a blogging system, it evolved into the fully-fledged content management system. Thousands of plugins, widgets and themes show that the sky is the limit.
If you have more questions as to WordPress, you can connect with the vast community around the project. Online resources like the forums and mailing lists are great ways to get involved with the CMS. As you have already understood from the above introduction, WordPress fits for each and every type of business. Actually, it's not important if your business is big or small, WordPress will provide you a lot of benefits. Some of the multiple themes and plugins available on WordPress are free and some are paid. Here is a link to decent templates providers website that will help you in creating an outstanding website for your business: D5 Creation. Their themes are manageable and easy to maintain, so you won't experience any troubles working with them. Fully secure, SEO friendly and clean coding will also help you a lot.
But let's come back to small entrepreneurs and their needs. As a rule everything a small business needs is a professional website that doesn't require considerable investments to set it up and that is easy to run. Guys, WordPress is exactly what you need. The software is totally free, it creates wonderful websites, which are super simple to maintain.
There are plenty of reasons to choose WordPress for your small business, but we promised to pick out 5 of them. So, here they follow:
- Easy to install and set up
The five steps to install WordPress
- 1. Download the latest version of WordPress from WordPress.org.
- 2. Upload those files to your web server, using FTP.
- 3. Create a MySQL database and user for WordPress.
- 4. Configure WordPress to connect to the newly-created database.
- 5. Complete the installation and setup your new website!
BTW, before you begin installing WordPress, you’ll need a reputable web hosting provider. If your provider is good, it will install and maintain WordPress for you.
- You can use WordPress for almost any type of business
We have already mentioned that WordPress is a universal solution for any kind of business, let's recap some of them to prove our words. You can use your WordPress website for the following businesses:
- Art & Culture
- Animals & Pets
- Design & Photography
- Education & Books
- Business & Services
- Cars & Motorcycles
- Computers & Internet
- Electronics Templates
- Entertainment, Games & Nightlife
- Home & Family
- Fashion & Beauty
- Food & Restaurant
- Holidays, Gifts & Flowers
- Medical Templates
- Real Estate Templates
- Society & People
- Sports, Outdoors & Travel
The list goes on...
- Enormous range of themes available
Here you will have a really overwhelming choice. There are so many companies out there offering the top-notch solutions for WordPress websites. If you don't want to pay for the design, you can choose a free one here and save.
But if you still hesitate which way to go - free or paid - we will try to clarify the situation for you.
Pleasures of free WordPress themes
Please note that when we say "free WordPress themes", we mean free WordPress themes featured in the official WordPress.org Themes directory or other trusted resources.
Please never download and install any free stuff offered by some unknown or unreliable sources.
It's quite understandable that the most essential benefit of a free WordPress theme is its cost that is next to nothing. It gives startups with limited budgets an opportunity to launch their websites.
Nevertheless, the word "free" always makes us search for a trap. Indeed, why would someone give you a WordPress theme for free if they can sell it as a premium one? The answer is simple. There are many benefits of giving and sharing. It helps theme developers polish their skills because during the review process, the theme review team audits its code and suggests what to improve. It also gives them extra promotion. Free themes are available to a larger audience where people can tear and wear them, give their feedback, and tell what can be perfected. Other advantages are building credible image as an expert developer, building a portfolio, getting paid jobs for customization of those free themes or even developing custom theme for the clients.
People often think that the phrase "free themes" is a synonym to "poor quality themes". Nothing of the kind.
Free WordPress themes actually comply with the higher quality standard. All free themes on trusted resources go through a strict theme review and testing process.
Free WordPress themes are tested for so many points: standard compliant code, support for standard WordPress features, quality HTML and CSS, security, privacy, and many others.
As you see, geeks are simply compelled to build quality WordPress themes to get them approved in the official directory.
As to the drawbacks... Well, the disadvantages of free and premium WordPress themes are very subjective. What is a crucial con for one person may not be a cause of concern for the other at all.
Here are some common disadvantages of free WordPress themes:
Limited support options (no 24/7/365 support at all). Free WordPress theme developers provide support through WordPress forums, but they are not obliged to reply to support queries.
Limited features and functionality. Free themes support most standard WordPress features, that's the truth. Many of them lack extra features like creating buttons, using shortcodes, creating landing pages, and many others.
Not so unique. Free themes are often featured on multiple websites and blogs, which means that your website will not have a unique design. Also free themes offer limited customization, which means you won't be able to drastically change the visual appearance of your free theme.
No obligation. Free themes are delivered with no warranties, so if something goes wrong, you will have to deal with the problem on your own.
If you use a free theme and it doesn’t have a specific functionality you’re looking for, remember that you didn’t pay a cent for this theme. You can ask the developers to add this feature. Most likely they will do it willingly. If not, make a small donation and the issue will be solved. This is the way to properly ask for WordPress support and get it.
Premium WordPress themes - pros
Unlike free themes, premium WordPress themes can be purchased from numerous third-party WordPress theme shops and marketplaces like D5 Creation. All Theme Shops don't provide WP Standard and Approved Themes. But, D5 Creation provides only WP Standard and Approved Themes.
- They are packed with more features and customization options. We think it's the biggest advantage of a premium theme.
- The competition in the premium theme industry is really tough, so theme stores are always trying to offer more features at lower prices.
- As a paying customer, you get themes that include options like drag and drop builders, shortcodes, multiple layouts and templates, and unlimited color choices.
- Support and updates. Premium WordPress themes are shipped with regular updates and support.
When the developers make money on creating WordPress themes, they try harder then when they are doing it for free.
- More unique. People should pay a certain price for a premium theme, so they’re less frequently used when compared to free themes.
- A bunch of customization options gives you the ability to personalize your theme. As a result you get a website that stands out and looks unique.
Premium WordPress themes - cons
Unfortunately not all premium themes are perfect. Here are some common issues that can be taken as their disadvantages. So, you should be careful to purchase Themes from non-trusted Theme Shops.
- Poor code. Sometimes you buy an attractive premium theme that looks unsurpassable but has poor coding standards which could make it incompatible with some plugins. This happens mainly because these themes don’t have to go through a strict review process.
- Too many features. In order to raise conversion, theme developers can add too many unnecessary features into their themes. You will probably never use all those features, but they are still there slowing down your website.
- Crossing over into Plugins domain. Sometimes WordPress themes can cross over into plugins domain, they offer functionality that they are not supposed to offer. For example, creating custom post types, shortcodes, and other things that would disappear as soon as you switch the theme.
- Not user friendly theme options. Sometimes some theme may provide lots of features but those are not easily manageable. Users may not feel good with the complex environment
- Some themes use Plugins' territory and bundle them with theme package which is not allowed by the WordPress Theme Review team
Ok, but how to find premium themes that are really as good as they are promised to be?
The easiest way to find an awesome premium theme is by buying it from one of the trusted marketplaces and developers like D5 Creation.
Remember that when you are purchasing a premium WordPress theme, you are not hiring the whole web development store crew to set it up for you. You also don’t have an exclusive license and theme developer does not offer any warranty.
Most of the good theme shops will give you access to their documentation and support forums where you can get more help if needed. This preferential support is actually what you are paying for. Any good theme shop should have a great support system, documentation, and help available for you to set up your theme. D5 Creation offers Live Chat, Forum and Dedicated E-Mail supports. Thousand of peoples love D5 Creation for the rapid and effective support services.
Are you confused… How should you choose?
When choosing a WordPress theme for your future site, ask yourself a few questions.
1. Do you really need lots of features, custom theme admin options, sliders, and other goodies for your website?
2. Can you troubleshoot WordPress issues on your own or you need help with them?
3. Do you want a professional looking theme that’s not very common or you are fine with a basic layout?
If you are just starting out with a personal blog or family website, then a free WordPress theme would meet your requirements.
On the other hand, if you are a small business, we will recommend you to start with a paid theme. It gives you the extra customization features and options while giving you the peace of mind that support is available whenever you need it.
- Enormous range of free plugins to extend functionality
There are 50,234 plugins available for free download on WordPress.org. They will help you add any features you wish to your WordPress website and make it even more user-friendlier.
- A very secure platform
WordPress core software is very secure, and it’s audited regularly by hundreds of developers. However, there is still a lot that can be done to protect your WP website.
WordPress is an open source software which is regularly maintained and updated. By default, WordPress automatically installs minor updates. For major releases, you need to manually initiate the update.
WordPress also comes with thousands of plugins and themes that you can install on your website. These plugins and themes are maintained by third-party developers which regularly release updates as well.
These WordPress updates are crucial for the security and stability of your WordPress site. You need to make sure that your WordPress core, plugins, and theme are up to date.
Do you think that nothing is 100% secure? Read this guide on how to make your WordPress website utterly secure.
Did you change your mind about WordPress after reading this article? Will it become number one choice for your small business website? What platform are you using now? Are you ready to migrate? Please share your thoughts/feedback/questions at the contact section.